Friday, June 29, 2007

Taman Jurong Paypond CR - 28/06/07

This may sound really crazy to some, but Raymond, Felix and I were back at the paypond again on Thursday after we knocked off from a hectic day at work. I guess the break from fishing due to our work commitments 2 weeks ago had really fishing-deprived fanatics. Hah.



That pump in the picture above is featured later in this post.

Anyway, we were pretty lucky as the sky seemed overcast while we were on the way but the clouds began to dissipate when we reached our destination. After making the payment for our rods and buying 100g of live prawns (Read my little write-up on live prawns here) from the main booth, we began to set up our tackles at our usual marquee near to the nets where the fishes are released from 2 times a day. It was also pretty good that the place was quite empty and that we virtually had the whole pond to ourselves. I guess the signs of possible rain put many anglers off the idea of patronising the place tonight.

It was a warm and humid night, a stark contrast to the heavy downpour we encountered here a few days ago. Felix's rod was the first to land a strike, getting a hit while spinning his live prawn back towards the bank. His screaming reel was music to all of our ears. Within a short while, the Kim was hauled up and quickly clipped on the lower lip before being lowered back into the pond with a holding rope.

"Not bad leh, this one's fight." Felix commented. It was pretty unusual to hear those words coming out of his mouth as he had always made it clear that he feels that fights with paypond fishes are, in his own words: "like pulling up a cloth from the bottom of the pond".

Next in line was Raymond. Never one to sit around, he got his reward for changing his casting spots several times by hooking up another Kim near the other end of the pond.

Despite several half bitten prawns, I wasn't getting any hookups on my rod. I decided to change my bait to the frozen Tamban I had brought along for fun. After trying to spin it a few times across the pond to no avail, I casted it near to the mouth of the release nets and sat down to rest for a short while. As soon as I sat on the plastic chair, the reel started to scream as my line started running. I quickly picked up my rod and gave it a hard backward jerk.

It was a hit.

The Kim wasn't giving up. It broke to the surface twice, only to jump and wriggle in a valiant attempt to escape. I wasn't going to risk it cutting the line with it's sharp gill plates so I held my rod up high to tension up any slack line that may have gone under. When it got near to the pond bank, I quickly grabbed hold of my leader and pulled it out of the water.



After keeping the fish and re-casting to the same spot, there was another strike about 10 minutes later. I wasn't so lucky this time though. The darn fish started taking line and swam out to the right. I knew it didn't look good when I saw my line going towards the pump. In the blink of an eye, my line ran into the pump and the spool turned even faster. Knowing that there is no way to untangle the line, I had no choice but to cut off my line.



The catch of the day, 3 Kims in total.

Oh well, there will be another day for revenge.

0 comments: